Celebs seem to be wearing beautiful dresses all the time, but few of those make a lasting impression. Fashion is fast these days. One day something new pops up and the next day it’s forgotten. And as much as we’d like to think that it’s the celebrities who make the fashion statements, it’s often the dresses that make that statement and make history. So let’s take a look at 15 dresses that definitely made history.
1. The decolletage on this dress definitely made Jayne Mansfield the centre of attention back in 1957. She sure got some interesting glances.
2. The sparkly nude dress Marilyn Monroe wore to sing Happy Birthday to John F. Kennedy in 1962. It’s been more than half a century and that dress still stands the test of time. If someone wore it today – it would still look incredibly fashionable.
3. Mary Tyler Moore definitely shocked the public with this revealing green dress in the fifth season of The Mary Tyler Moore Show in 1975.
4. Madonna is the queen of scandalous dresses, but we believe this little wedding dress she wore in the video for her song “Like A Virgin” back in 1984 was where it all began.
5. We mostly associate the Oscars with a lot of fancy but classy dresses these days. Well Cher didn’t care about that back in 1988. She wanted to stand out.
6. Demi Moore looked absolutely stunning in this dress at the Oscars in 1989. The gold accents of the dress accentuated all the right places and the cape definitely added some drama.
7. Cindy Crawford sure knew a way to turn heads in 1991. This little red dress is just fabulous and that is one risky low cut.
8. Princess Diana wore this little number after Prince Charles admitted to cheating on her. This dress became known as the “Revenge Dress” and we can see why. It hugged Diana’s curves in the most perfect way.
9. We’re pretty sure Britney Spears single-handedly popularized the sexy schoolgirl outfit with her “Baby One More Time” music video in 1998. It’s been iconic ever since, to the point where when someone wears that outfit to Halloween you don’t think they’re dressed as a schoolgirl, you know they’re Britney.
10. Toni Braxton’s 2001 Grammy Awards dress was pretty out there wasn’t it? It’s kind of hard to call it a dress, it’s more like strategically placed strips of fabric. But hey, it was hella memorable.
11. The green dress Keira Knightley wore in Atonement in 2007 is still considered to be one of the most beautiful dresses in cinema. It’s just so gorgeous and elegant.
12. Pippa Middleton’s bridesmaid dress was probably more talked about then Kate’s wedding dress.Those simple lines and the graceful silhouette definitely made this dress iconic and chic.
13. This dress leaves little to imagination, but it does cover up the all the strategic places. It’s not an easy dress to look good in, but Amber Rose definitely pulled it of at the VMA’s in 2014.
14. You’ve got to have a perfect body and a lot of confidence to wear a dress like this. Rita Ora and Bella Hadid clearly have both! So… Who REALLY wore it better?
15. Kim Kardashian has been spotted wearing this white jumpsuit while hanging out in Miami. It’s very “Disney Princess” looking at the top, with the plunging neckline and the flowing off shoulder sleeves, but the bottom part just look like leggings. It’s definitely an unusual outfit, but Kim is always pushing the envelope when it comes to fashion and we’ve come to expect that from her.